Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How did you first hear of Spector?

+21
seldomseengirl
Les Incompetents
Harry
deathly_sea
maryniak
enjoy-it-while-it-lasts
i__am__kira
jessie rae
Quarter-life crisis
Alex Cole
No Adventure
nightsnotlongenough
Libby
Jo_sephine
James
chevy_thunder1
connor_dyer
RaiseItUp
bethan
cider
Tyler
25 posters

:: SPECTOR :: Band Talk

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How did you first hear of Spector? Empty How did you first hear of Spector?

Post by Tyler Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:08 pm

I'm ashamed to say I hadn't heard of Spector until March 2012, when I saw them opening for Florence + the Machine at Capital FM Arena, Nottingham. I found them incredible - every song they played was great, their style was on point and Fred's witty charm was irresistible. My craving for more Spector was not aided by the abysmal performance The Horrors put on shortly after, and so as soon as I got home I became engulfed in the band - and that's how I first heard of my favourite band.

What about you guys? How did you first hear of Spector? Discuss.
Tyler
Tyler
Administrator

Back to top Go down

How did you first hear of Spector? Empty Re: How did you first hear of Spector?

Post by cider Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:41 am

I first saw them supporting Kaiser Chiefs at Kirkstall Abbey in Leeds, almost a year ago and fell in love, I immediately bought all three tunes that were then available on iTunes. I was delighted when I found out they were supporting Florence earlier this year. I've had tickets to see them in Leeds twice this year and been unable to go both times due to ill health which was devastating, but mighty pleased to have tickets for their tour later this year and cannot wait for the album.
cider
cider

Back to top Go down

Post by bethan Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:44 am

I first heard of spector when the florence and the machine uk tour dates were announced. I checked them out, and liked their music a lot. I then started to buy their music and i became a fan! They were fab at FATM, i personally think they should of had more time than the horrors! Very happy
bethan
bethan

Back to top Go down

Post by RaiseItUp Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:06 am

I properly heard of them when they were announced to support Florence, before then I'd heard a bit of Grey Shirt & Tie but didn't really take much notice. When I listened to Chevy Thunder, I was sold and couldn't wait to see them support Florence.
RaiseItUp
RaiseItUp

Back to top Go down

Post by connor_dyer Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:37 am

Heard grey shirt & tie and kept an eye on singles as they were released.

But after seeing them today I love em!!!! Record has just been preordered
connor_dyer
connor_dyer

Back to top Go down

Post by chevy_thunder1 Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:24 am

Well I have also only been a fan since this year. but i found out about spector when looking up the acts for t in the park

Last edited by chevy_thunder1 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total

chevy_thunder1

Back to top Go down

Post by James Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:34 am

7th of January this year. I bought NME's 100 new bands... issue and they were featured alongside Howler and DZ Deathrays, two other bands I like.
James
James

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo_sephine Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:54 am

I've been a fan of Fred's cousin Henry Lloyd-Hughes (actor) since I saw him in a play called 'Punk Rock' in late 2009 -> followed him on Twitter -> read about Fred -> checked out his music (obviously not Spector at that time, just Les Incompetets and Ox.Eagle.Lion.Man) and liked it a lot (especially Les Inc).
in March 2010 Henry and a friend organised/hosted a concert at the Lyric Hammersmith with musicians they were friends with. Among them were 'Club Royale' which was basically Spector minus Danny plus a girl at the drums if I remember correctly. LOVED them! tried to keep my eyes/ears open but there wasn't much to be found but a facebook page with no music that soon disappeared.
then in June 2011 a friend of mine (who I had got interested in Fred's career as well) linked me to these videos on noisey.com and I've been obsessed ever since =)

Last edited by Jo_sephine on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Jo_sephine
Jo_sephine

Back to top Go down

Post by Libby Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:29 am

When I booked my tickets for Florence & The Machine I naturally looked at the supporting acts. I'd never heard of Spector so checked them out and loved them. Funnily enough, my dad, to begin with, loved them more than me (that's changed). Saw them March 2012 and it was amazing. Preordered signed copy, memorised lyrics, booked gig tickets and here I am! Happy)
Libby
Libby

Back to top Go down

Post by nightsnotlongenough Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:13 am

On Christmas Day last year I received a mention on Twitter from my best friend telling me that she'd been given two tickets to Florence + The Machine and that she wanted to give me one. I was jumping up and down for like five minutes straight and in my opinion her present ended up being the best one I got, even though it wasn't actually given to me... I was so psyched, and I pretty much always give the support acts for a band a listen when they're announced before I see them so when Spector were confirmed I downloaded the tracks that were on iTunes and watched some awful quality Youtube videos. On 16th March I saw them at the Metro Radio Arena in Newcastle (SUCH a rad gig) and me and my friend were the only people around us who were singing along (to Grey Shirt and Tie, Never Fade Away and Chevy Thunder). I fell in love with them and saw them again in July at Kendal Calling (by myself!) and then again at The Brickyard in Carlisle on 14th October. I hope I'll get to see them again soon and would love to meet them so, so much! GO SPECTOR ❤
nightsnotlongenough
nightsnotlongenough

Back to top Go down

Post by No Adventure Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:35 am

I first heard of Spector when I bought tickets to Florence last November. I listened to them and instantly loved them, and told my friends about them. When me and my friend went to see Florence in march we were the only people singing and everyone looked at us but we didn't care. I remember fred saying "I've been there sitting through the support acts texting your mum what time to pick you up, checking your twitter checking your Bebo" And that was when I fell in love with Fred:-)
India

No Adventure

Back to top Go down

How did you first hear of Spector? Empty First Listen, ehy?

Post by Alex Cole Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:40 am

I first heard Spector earlier in the year, with Chevy Thunder and Grey Shirt And Tie, and I loved the tracks, but they never caught my FULL attention. Then this film competition called the Hurtwood Prize came about, in which I had to choose one of four tracks and make a music video for it. And it was What You Wanted, and I fell in love. I was one of the contest winners, by the way, you can watch that video here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
And then I ran to HMV on the 13th to get the album, fell in love all over again- No Adventure's mind-blowing- and now they're my favourites. None of my friends like Spector, which is a shame. I managed to get two friends along with me to see them in Shepherd's Bush in November, and they liked it, but yeah, I basically went mental!
It's cool to see you guys who obsessively love them as I do, so yes, I'm Alex, hi. :-)

Alex Cole

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo_sephine Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:21 am

That video is PRETTY awesome!!! Goofy

and I was at that Shepherd's Bush gig too... feels like ages ago when it's not even been 4 weeks
Jo_sephine
Jo_sephine

Back to top Go down

Post by Quarter-life crisis Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:54 am

I discovered them from the BBC Sound of 2012 poll. Grey Shirt & Tie was the first song I heard... 10 seconds in and I knew I was going to love this band Happy

Last edited by Quarter-life crisis on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Quarter-life crisis
Quarter-life crisis

Back to top Go down

Post by jessie rae Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:17 am

I had heard their singles on xfm and thought they were all really cool, then my friend messaged me asking if I wanted to go see them. I actually almost said no because I hadn't heard much and stuff, but I am so glad we went. It was honestly one of the best nights of my life. By the time the gig had come around I knew the entirety of EIWIL by heart and was pretty obsessed, and we were at the barrier and held hands with Fred, he even dedicated lay low to my friend. It was perfect!
jessie rae
jessie rae

Back to top Go down

Post by i__am__kira Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:55 pm

I saw Spector on Jool's Holland quite a while ago, probably 1 and a half years ago. They played 'What You Wanted' and I just thought they were really cool :P
i__am__kira
i__am__kira

Back to top Go down

Post by enjoy-it-while-it-lasts Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:24 am

I first heard of Spector when they supported Kaiser Chiefs in Leeds just over a year ago. I'm not a huge Kaiser Chiefs fan but wanted to see The Cribs! I did a bit of research and downloaded some stuff and really liked Spector straight away. They were first on and it was a bit stop/start but it was enough to get me hooked... i then saw them (for free!) at Nation in Leeds and i've just seen them for the ninth time and have tickets for a tenth! CAN'T WAIT!!!

enjoy-it-while-it-lasts

Back to top Go down

Post by maryniak Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:25 am

It was on the 12th of August 2012. Their first gig in Poland, it was incredible! I was shouting chevy thunder chevy chevy thunder out of my lungs, even though I thought it was CHERRY thunder hahaha! But still, it was a great day. I really enjoyed it Happy
maryniak
maryniak

Back to top Go down

Post by deathly_sea Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:55 am

I'd not heard about Spector untill summer'12.
'I lost track of time remind me how it started'. Last week I tried to remember how I'd found out about them. So, only one thing I can say: God, save tumbrl. There was Celestine video on my dashboard. I wathed it and fell in love with the first sight. Then I found Russian fans.
deathly_sea
deathly_sea

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:44 am

I heard what I now believe was Chevy Thunder on the Radio but didn't catch the band name or song title back in 2011, I then saw them on Jools and remember thinking in the morning I need to get that bands name they were insane. I later turned on Soccer AM the only time I have watched it in my life for no reason before they introduced a brand new "indie rock" band and Fred's wit and image interested me so much so I checked them out on YouTube only to find "elektrify" (a song by a different band) and I was so gutted but I then a week later saw their name and decided to give them another listen Chevy Thunder & Never Fade Away became my favorites until then a few weeks later Celestine came out and The Vaccines were history - Spector are my favorite band!
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Les Incompetents Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:08 pm

back in 2006 i was a fan of Les Incompetents, which was made up of among others Fred and Chris. they broke up and went separate ways and then Fred formed Ox.Eagle.Lion.Man. i used to like these too but then they as well broke up. 

i didnt really know about spector until they released what you wanted which i think was late 11, and even then i wasnt sold on them to be honest. then chevy thunder and celestine came out and i really liked them two songs. i saw them play at field day last year and they blew me away, thought they were a lot better live than on record and Fred's live performance was great and that was that.
Les Incompetents
Les Incompetents

Back to top Go down

Post by seldomseengirl Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:13 am

I believe I first heard their name on twitter late last year (it was something insulting too, lol) so I didn't look them up or anything. I think like a few months later someone mentioned them, and I did and looked up the chevy thunder video on youtube, which I thought was very cool, proceeded to watch all the music videos, ect. Got the album like the next day!
seldomseengirl
seldomseengirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Morla Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:52 am

Hello from Germany, 

when Grey Shirt And Tie was released I found an article with the video in a Google Alert (running "Hurts" ;) ). The author connected Spector to Hurts because of the suits and how the hair is done. I liked the song very much and so I stayed tuned...

Later I bought tickets for the announced German Spectour that unfortunately never happened until today. Still waiting...

So I never saw them live yet but I promise I will as soon as they find the time for Germany finally (I know that they were here with Florence)...but somehow I hope for an own club tour in Germany - can imagine that this would be much more fun Happy.

I saw Coachella live vids - JESUS ;) 8) ...

So as far as internet enables, I have an eye on them for a long time now...

Morla

Back to top Go down

Post by vanhomrigh Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:04 am

For me it all happened when they supported Suede at Ally Pally in March this year. I hadn't heard of them at all so far and really loved them.
I looked them up when I got home and have been unhealthily obsessed with Spector ever since Very happy

I still remember Fred making that joke "Today we're here to celebrate the resurrection of our Lord..." and just thought "oh god, please don't do that" until he finished the sentence with "... Brett Anderson!" Very happy

(I don't even like Suede that much anymore, oops)

vanhomrigh

Back to top Go down

Post by geosleedsu Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:55 pm

I saw Spector at Leeds festival 2012. Most my friends went to Leeds Cockpit to see them earlier that year so I went with them. They were fantastic, and since them I have seen them a further 2 times, and hope to see them again soon even though I'm away for the dates nearby. But I would any day go 3 hours to Newcastle to see them!!

geosleedsu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next